Young children and even fire breathing dragons love this healthy spring soup! Now is a great time to start harvesting the new shoots. Look for the new growth and harvest just the succulent tops. Don’t forget to wear gloves while harvesting!
Here’s the recipe:
8-10 cups loosley packed nettles
8 cups water
3 Tbsp butter (or butter alternative)
4-6 Tbsp flour (a gluten-free flour mixture works)
milk or milk alternative to taste (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash nettles and steam in water until quite wilted. Set aside and save broth.
2. Melt butter in saucepan and add flour. Whisk together and saute for 5 mins or so until smelling aromatic.
3. Slowly add nettle broth to flour mixture. Bring to a simmer whisking continuously. This mixture will thicken.
4. Add nettles and blend together. A hand blender works very well for this step.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add milk if desired.
Alex collecting nettles.